Monday, March 16, 2009

The Cellphone Addiction

Hi. My name is Rocky and I am a cellphone addict.

I can't help myself. I always need to have the latest technology at my disposal. I am a tech geek. My obsession stems far beyond just cellphones, but today I feel like discussing phones because I am currently looking for a new one.

My previous phone was the HTC Kaiser/TYTN II/8925 also known as the AT&T Tilt. I also had the HTC TYTN aka the Cingular 8525. Both phones started to have issues with their flex cables, manifesting itself as a blank white screen. I sold the Tilt recently but kept the 8525 for my GF. I just received the replacement flex cable for it last weekend so it should work fine once I replace it.

Currently I am using the Huawei ????....I have no idea. I practically got it free from my phone company. All it does is make/receive calls and texts. Nothing more. As you may well imagine, using this phone has left me feeling somewhat incomplete. So I want to mention some of my dream phones and then focus on the one or two that meet my standards at an affordable price.

My first pick? The Sony Ericsson Xperi X1. Out of sheer laziness to be honest I won't list the specs but I well post a link to it. http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_xperia_x1-2246.php Let's just say however that this phone has everything I need. Except an affordable price. It is a gorgeous phone. My only concern is that it is a slider phone with a full keyboard which raise issues about the whole flex cable thing again. Since my problems with the flex cables on my previous phone I am hesitant to get involved with any phone which relies on one.

Other lovely but pricey picks include the Nokia N96 http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n96-2253.php, the HTC Touch HD http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_touch_hd-2525.php and the Iphone 3G http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_3g-2424.php Yes, I know, it has hardly any features to match the others I named but it just looks cool. Though to be honest I don't think I would ever buy one. But I wouldn't turn down one as a gift however.

Now, I wanna mention those phones I like that are reasonably priced even if still a bit much sometimes. However they seem worth the cost in my point of view. First on this list is the Blackberry Bold http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_bold_9000-2370.php (I'm not a big fan of the Storm, my feelings are the result of reviews I have read, never held or seen one myself), the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_5800_xpressmusic-2537.php and the Samsung i8510 INNOV8 http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i8510_innov8-2471.php

What are the features that interest me you ask? Good question, thank you for asking. First and foremost I need a large enough screen to watch videos and surf the web. I really dislike small screens. The phone must have 3G and EDGE, WLAN is a plus but not a necessity. Bluetooth is a must as well, preferably with A2DP. The phone must also be able to sync with my PC whether via usb or bluetooth. Cameras aren't a big deal for me but would be a plus to have, so would the video call camera. The phone would have to be a world phone, capable of functioning at all the GSM frequencies so that I can travel with it. And last but not least, I don't want any phone that will likely need replacement parts like flex cables often...I just seem to have bad luck with these.

Well that's it in a nutshell. Right now I trying to find a good phone at a reasonable price. I am not going to buy it in my home country for sure because after taxes and profit margins, buying a good cellphone is like putting down a mortgage on a house.

No comments:

Post a Comment