Friday, March 13, 2009

Are you for SCUBA Reuben?

Well today is a slow day as far as interesting events go. I have a meeting this afternoon which I have already prepared for. So now I find myself with time to kill and unfortunately nothing current to blog about. As a result, I decided to spend some time talking about one of my favourite past times....SCUBA.

Well firstly let me give props to the girl who trained me and got me through the certification process, Miss Jemima Lorde, Dive Master at Island Divers of St. Lucia ( http://www.islanddiversstlucia.com/ ).

Previous to my first SCUBA experience I was an avid snorkeler, I always enjoyed seeing the underwater world and looked forward to one day being able to take a closer look. Luckily my long time friend Jem, convinced me to get some friends together and join her class. Well, I took her advice and rounded up my two good friends Ryan and Jade and we hit the water as soon as was possible.

I always felt it was a shame that we live in the Caribbean, surrounded by all this beauty and opportunity that others paid lots of money to take advantage of and yet we locals took for granted. So I made it a point to do all the typically "tourist" activities because they were not "tourist" activities they were ours. It is sad when outsiders get more out of the natural beauty of our country than we do. So I vowed to learn SCUBA, Skiing, windsurfing, kite surfing, horseback riding, to do the ATV tours, climb mountains, visit waterfalls and take advantage of the sulfur baths.

But I am losing focus. Today's topic is SCUBA. I can tackle the others another time. Today I want to share with you the experience of an underwater world. A world we "fly" through. Surrounded by fishes, crabs, lobster, sea-snakes and other underwater creatures. Where light works differently, where sounds are not experienced in a way we are used to. A world where fear adds to the excitement and beauty, where wonder fills with every twitch of the eye.

As you descend you can feel the wight of the ocean on top of you. Slowly you realize you are the intruders into the home of the aquatic creatures. At the same time you feel safe and welcomed. Ironically the last dive I went on was a night dive which was immediately followed by a stop at a local festival in a fishing village. We went from admiring how beautiful the fishes looked by the light of our flashlights to how wonderful they tasted.

Sigh, I just can't seem to focus. I think I will stop here. There is so much to say really on the topic of SCUBA. I don't know if my words thus far have succeeded in selling the idea of SCUBA to anyone but I certainly hope you try it at least once. It is a remarkable experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment